Are you wondering about the common causes of house fires? If you’ve suffered a fire in your home, you’ll want to learn how to prevent a repeat. Fortunately, avoidance is easier than repair when you know what prompts flames.
We’ve made a list of the common causes of fires. Be sure to review it the next time you want to light a candle or flip a switch. You or a loved one could avoid a fire if you remember these tips.
Let’s get into it!
House fires are a major cause of property damage and loss of life each year. Unattended cooking is a major cause of those fires due to hot cooking surfaces, open flames, and flammable objects.
Additionally, it’s when it is left unattended on a stovetop, in an oven, or on a barbecue grill. The most common causes of these types of fires are:
- Forgetting the burner is still on
- Leaving food while it’s cooking
- Abandoning greasy pans in open flames
In addition, failing to turn the stovetop off can increase the risk of a house fire. Furthermore, leaving multiple pans and utensils on the stovetop can also increase clutter and the amount of heat coming out.
People should never leave the kitchen while cooking and should always turn off all ovens when they are finished. Proper kitchen safety practices and keeping fire extinguishers nearby can help to minimize the risk of a house fire.
Careless smoking is one of the top causes of house fires. It often occurs when smokers forget to completely extinguish their cigarettes before discarding them. This can result in the treated materials around the discarded cigarette beginning to burn.
Additionally, fires can also start if a smoker carelessly flicks a lit cigarette onto a combustible item in the house. Accidental combustion can also occur when someone is smoking near oxygen tanks.
Furthermore, matches and lighters can also cause fires if not used properly and stored safely. Lastly, the careless disposal of ash when cleaning out an ashtray can result in smoldering embers in the trash and potentially start a fire.
All of these scenarios are preventable by following proper smoking safety procedures, such as never smoking when an oxygen tank is in use and always extinguishing all cigarettes before throwing them away.
Electrical issues are very common causes of house fires. This can be caused by:
- Bad wiring
- Incorrect installation of electrical equipment
- Overload of power outlets
- Using extension cords improperly
- Not using approved electrical wiring at home
In addition, the use of old or inferior electrical wiring can easily short-circuit and result in a fire. Remember that outdated wiring, in particular, has the potential to spark and cause a fire. Also, faulty outlets can sometimes become loose due to wear and tear.
To avoid an electrical-related house fire, keeping dwellings updated and in good repair are essential.
House fires can be caused by many things, but faulty appliances are a major contributor. Poorly maintained ovens and stoves often have broken wiring that draws too much electricity and can overheat.
Also, heating systems can cause fires if not serviced and maintained, as dust can gather on the heating element and ignite. Frayed wiring in appliances can also be a source of danger if not spotted and fixed.
Many times, people don’t check their appliances for signs of damage, so it’s best to do an inspection at least every three months to ensure everything is in good working condition. Taking the proper measures to maintain appliances can significantly reduce the risk of a house fire.
Children Playing With Fire
Young children are naturally curious and often lack basic fire safety knowledge, which can lead to tragic outcomes. Common causes include:
- Matches and lighters left accessible
- Items placed too close to heat
- Children playing with flammable materials
Keeping all potentially hazardous items out of the reach of children is an essential fire prevention strategy. It is also best to discuss fire safety with them to ensure they know the dangers of fire and how to remain safe.
Most importantly, establishing clear rules and boundaries around playing with fire and a no-tolerance policy for any unsafe behavior is also vitally important. Taking these simple steps can help significantly reduce the risk of house fires caused by children.
Leaving Combustible Materials
House fires are a tragedy and can be incredibly damaging to property and life. One of the most common causes of house fires is leaving combustible materials near heat sources.
This can result in the wiring and materials catching fire and spreading quickly through the house. It is crucial to ensure that items such as paper, clothes, and furniture are kept far away from any heating source.
Additionally, good maintenance and regular inspections of gas appliances are essential in avoiding fires. Furthermore, sparks from a poorly maintained gas appliance can quickly ignite any combusting material near it. To prevent house fires, all combustible materials should be maintained according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Not Changing Out Light Bulbs Regularly
Not changing out light bulbs regularly can also cause house fires. Incandescent light bulbs can become extremely hot as they heat up, and if coupled with a worn socket or loose bulb, can begin to spark and result in a fire.
To avoid this from happening, ensure all light fixtures have bulbs that are changed regularly and replaced with cooler, energy-efficient bulbs such as LED or CFL instead. In short, inspecting all light bulbs can save you from hazardous and expensive incidents.
In all cases, it is important to call for help as soon as possible when a fire is suspected. After it has been extinguished, it is critical for homeowners to think about fire cleanup and damage restoration.
There are repair companies that are trained in dealing with disasters and can guide homeowners through the process of reinstating their homes. Click here to learn more about fire damage restoration to determine the best course of action.
Top Reasons Why House Fires Occur
House fires are a serious issue, and preventative measures should be taken to avoid them. Common causes of these fires are faulty wiring, smoking, cooking, dryers, heating systems, and faulty appliances.
It’s important to be vigilant and have a good understanding of fire prevention. Knowing what to do after a fire can avoid a tragedy. Be safe and stay fire aware!
Did you find this article helpful? Check out the rest of our blog now for more informative topics.