When camping or backpacking, it’s important to ensure that you have all the necessary equipment to make your experience comfortable and enjoyable. One such important equipment is a moving blanket. It is a versatile, inexpensive and multi-functional item that can be used for various purposes. One of the most common uses of moving blankets is for tent flooring. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about using moving blankets for tent flooring.
What are moving blankets?
Moving blankets, also known as furniture pads or moving pads, are thick and durable blankets that are used to protect furniture and other valuable items during transportation. They are usually made of a combination of materials such as cotton, polyester, and/or recycled textiles. Moving blankets are available in different sizes, thicknesses, and weights. They are also reusable and can be used for multiple purposes.
Why use moving blankets for tent flooring?
When camping or backpacking, the ground can be hard and uncomfortable to sleep on. Using a moving blanket as a tent floor can provide a soft, cushioned surface that is more comfortable to sleep on. It can also provide insulation and help keep you warm during cold nights. Moreover, it can protect the tent floor from dirt, debris, and other elements.
Types of moving blankets for tent flooring
There are different types of moving blankets that can be used for tent flooring. Some of the common types include:
- Woven moving blankets: These are the most durable and heavy-duty moving blankets. They are made of woven polyester and can withstand rough terrain and heavy usage. They are also water-resistant and can provide good insulation.
- Non-woven moving blankets: These are made of recycled materials such as cotton and felt. They are lighter than woven blankets but still provide good protection and insulation.
- Quilted moving blankets: These are made of multiple layers of fabric that are quilted together. They provide good insulation and protection but are not as durable as woven blankets.
How to use moving blankets for tent flooring?
Using moving blankets for tent flooring is quite simple. Follow these steps:
- Choose the right size and type of moving blanket for your tent. Measure the size of your tent and choose a moving blanket that is slightly larger than the floor of your tent.
- Clean the area where you will be placing the moving blanket. Make sure there are no sharp objects or debris on the ground.
- Lay the moving blanket on the ground, making sure that it is flat and even.
- Secure the edges of the moving blanket to the ground using tent stakes or heavy objects such as rocks. This will prevent the blanket from shifting or moving around.
- Place a groundsheet or tarp over the moving blanket to provide additional protection and insulation.
Tips for using moving blankets for tent flooring
Here are some tips to keep in mind when using moving blankets for tent flooring:
- Choose a moving blanket that is thick enough to provide good insulation and cushioning.
- Make sure the edges of the moving blanket are secured to the ground to prevent it from moving around.
- Use a groundsheet or tarp over the moving blanket to provide additional protection and insulation.
- Avoid placing the moving blanket on rough or sharp surfaces as this can damage it.
- Make sure to clean and dry the moving blanket before storing it.
How to maintain moving blankets?
To ensure that your moving blankets last long, it is important to maintain them properly. Here are some tips for maintaining your moving blankets:
- Clean your moving blankets regularly using a mild detergent and warm water. Make sure to rinse them thoroughly and hang them to dry.
- Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals on your moving blankets as this can damage the fabric and reduce their effectiveness.
- Store your moving blankets in a dry and cool place to prevent moisture buildup and mold growth.
- Inspect your moving blankets regularly for any signs of wear and tear. Replace any damaged or worn-out blankets to ensure maximum protection and insulation.
Alternatives to moving blankets
While moving blankets are a great option for tent flooring, there are other alternatives that you can consider. Some of these alternatives include:
- Foam mats or camping pads: These provide good insulation and cushioning and are specifically designed for camping and backpacking.
- Tarps: Tarps are lightweight and can provide good protection and insulation. They can also be used as an additional layer over a moving blanket for added protection.
- Yoga mats: Yoga mats are lightweight and portable, and can provide some cushioning and insulation. However, they may not be as durable as other options and may not provide as much insulation.
Moving blankets are a versatile and inexpensive item that can be used for various purposes while camping or backpacking. Using them for tent flooring can provide comfort, insulation, and protection from the elements. By choosing the right type and size of moving blanket, securing it properly, and maintaining it well, you can ensure a comfortable and enjoyable camping experience.